There are literally dozens and dozens of Algarvian Sweets, here is just a small taste of some of the most popular:If you see the words " fabrico proprio" on the awning or on the window, you know that the pastries have been made on the premises, and they will be fresh daily.
Pasteis de Natas
- Custard cream tarts: Stepping of the plane in China a year ago the first thing I saw were the Algarvian 'Pasteis de Natas' Custard cream tarts! The Portuguese discoverers, must have brought the recipe with them in the mid 1600's, as their origin in China is acredited to the Portuguese.
Pasteis de Natas
- Almond tart: a biscotti type base topped with caramel covered almonds. Divine!
- Fig Cake: chopped dried figs made into a small firm cake, often with almonds or walnuts pressed into the sides.
- Regional Sweets:Marzipan paste made with sugar, finely ground almonds,shapedinto intricate animals, fruits, flowers etc. Some of the 'dough is dyed, making possible gorgeous colored tarts. Often a special gift for Easter time.
- Palmeiras: A 'palm' shaped mil folhas baked till light and crispy and topped with crystallized sugar.
- Almond Cake: a heavenly light cake made with almond flour, instead of normal baking flour, and dusted with Baking sugar when cooled.
- Tart de Natas: Served chilled, a biscuit base topped with a cream filling and chilled till firm. Velvety and delicious.
- Orange Cake: a dense cake, often served as a rolled cake, made with grated orange rind and orange juice, resulting in a soothing orange tasting cake.
- Dom Rodrigues:Using the left over egg yellows from other baking, the Don Rodriguez are strings of eggyolk mixed with sugar and sieved into boiling water resulting in orange strings that are wrapped into colorful tin foil pyramids.
- Mother in laws tongue: 'lingua de sogra', yellowish cookie named after the favorit eperson in the family.
- Eclara de Ovos:egg whites, beaten till firm and fluffy with the addition of sugar and then set on a roll or wax paper. when slightly hardened, rolled into a big fluffy roll.Heaven!
- Caramel pudding:Absolutely luscious caramel pudding made with condensed milk cooked in a pressure cooker in the tin for 45 min, and then beaten with brown sugar.Because of the length of cooking you do not see it that much but is absolutely a must try.
- Bolo de arroz: small individual cake made with rice flour.
- Queque: individual cake made with corn flour.
- Folar: Easter sweet bead with a whole egg in the shell baked in the centre.
- Almond cookie: made with crushed almonds.